Promoting Sustainable Beaches
Sustainable management of beach spaces, responsible tourism and the conservation of coastal and marine ecosystems is at the heart of the Blue Flag programme.
Blue Flag is a world-renowned award for beaches, marinas and boats, implemented in over 45 countries. It is operated under the auspices of the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE), an international not-for-profit organization, headquartered in Copenhagen, Denmark.
‘Blue Flag India’, launched in 2018, invites participation in the programme.
Participate in promoting sustainability
Local governments (Panchayats, Municipal Councils, district administrations), government agencies, Ministries can apply for the Blue Flag. Hospitality industry, corporate foundations, communities etc may support sustainable beach management in partnership with the local governments. Applications are to be made to National Operator, Blue Flag India.
Blue Flag Award helps local communities, businesses and governments in ma
- Showcases the beach to the international community
- Attracts sustainable tourism and improves incomes and livelihoods
- Improves public understanding about nature and cultural features
- Protects and conserves the unique natural and cultural assets
- Promotes a healthier and safer environment